LETTY M. TANCHUM – Of Counsel
675 Third Avenue
New York, New York 10017
- Duke University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1971
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1973
- Vice President and General Counsel, Harpo Productions, Inc.
- Vice President and General Counsel, The Oprah Winfrey Charitable Foundations
- senior General Attorney, Capital/ABC
- Bar Admission, New York, 1973
- Communication Law; Entertainment Law; Media Law
- Guest Lecturer, Duke Law School, Entertainment Law Seminar
- 2008 Recipient of Duke Law School’s Charles S. Ward Award for dedication to education public service
- 2005 Named one of leading 500 attorneys in America by Lawdragon Magazine
- Board of Visitors, Duke Law School
For 15 years, Ms. Tanchum worked as in house counsel at Capital Cities/ABC, specializing in all facets of communications law where she advised the Owned and Operated Radio and Television Stations and Radio Networks. Ms. Tanchum left ABC in 1989 and joined Oprah Winfrey’s Harpo Productions, Inc., as its Vice President of Legal and Business Affairs. She then served as its General Counsel and was instrumental in coordinating Oprah’s defense in the much publicized Texas Beef Libel litigation. She specializes in communications law, libel review and talent representation. In 2008, Ms. Tanchum became Vice President and General Counsel of the Oprah Winfrey Charitable Foundations and served as Interim Acting Director of the Charities in 2009. Ms. Tanchum serves on the Board of Visitors of Duke Law School. She has also guest lectured at Duke Law School and the Steinhardt School of New York University.